Announcing for 2017
The Seventeenth Annual
Faith, Hope and Love, RWA Chapter’s
FHL Reader’s Choice Award
Deadline is March 1, 2017
The FHLRCA is open to all writers, members of RWA, and non-members, who are published in Christian fiction. Books entered in the FHLRCA must be written from a Christian worldview. There should be no profanity, graphic sex, gratuitous violence or other objectionable material not accepted by the standards of Christian fiction. Books may be published in one of two ways:
Traditionally Published: The author publishes through a publisher, and is not required to participate financially in the production or distribution of their book, including any requirement to purchase a certain number of books.
FHLRCA Qualified Independently Published: Books that are published independent of a traditional publishing house, or in which the author participated in the publishing costs. Authors must apply to be accepted for QIP status. Please see the preceding paragraph and QIP guidelines.
Beginning in 2015, certain independently published Christian fiction works will be eligible for the FHLRCA. Independently published authors must meet a certain standard to enter the FHLRCA— “Qualified Independently Published” status. For the QIP status, and the application to qualify, please go here. Entries must have a 2016 copyright date, except in the instance where the book released in 2016, but had a copyright of 2015. (In this case, you must contact the Contest Chair to inquire about submitting a letter from the publisher.)
Novels/novellas entered shall be Christian romances or Christian novels with romantic elements and offered for sale to the general public in a readable format. All entries must be submitted in print form, 4 autographed, standard bound copies with cover art and a copyright page for each entry. An author may enter as many Christian novels as she/he desires; however, they must have a 2016 copyright. In order to maintain the professionalism of the FHLRCA all entrants are required to enter new unread copies of their books to be sent to the reader judges.
For the purposes of our contests, FHL defines “Christian fiction” as follows: Stories written by writers whose worldview, influenced by their faith in the God of the Bible, is woven into the fabric of the book or manuscript. Entries in FHL’s contest should not include inappropriate or gratuitous demonstration of sin, whether in language (profanity), violence, or sexual situations. Any work of fiction entered in the FHLRCA that does not follow these guidelines will be automatically disqualified and the entry fee will be forfeited.
- Short Contemporary (40,000-75,000 words) Christian fiction where the love story is the main focus of the novel.
- Long Contemporary (more than 75,000 words) Christian fiction where the love story is the main focus of the novel.
- Short Historical (40,000-75,000) Christian novels or sagas set in an historical time period in which the love story is the main focus of the novel.
- Long Historical (more than 75,000) Christian novels or sagas set in an historical time period in which the love story is the main focus of the novel.
- Romantic Suspense (over 40,000 words) Inspirational fiction where a suspense plot is blended with a love story.
- Women’s Fiction (over 40,000 words) Christian fiction not belonging in another category that contains a strong romantic element, such that one or more romances contained in the story form an integral part of the story’s structure, but in which other themes or stories may also be significantly developed. The romantic elements, while not the primary focus of the story, should be an integral and dynamic part of the plot or subplot.
- Novella (15,000 to 40,000 words) Short pieces of Christian fiction that have a strong romantic theme throughout.
Entry Fee: $20 for FHL chapter members, and $25 for non-members per entry. Entry fees must be paid in U.S. funds by either check or money order, made payable to “Faith, Hope, and Love Chapter,” or on the internet using PayPal.
After entry fee is received, you will be notified where to submit four (4) autographed copies of your inspirational romance/novella. Books entered must have a year 2016 copyright date, first printing date, or first North American printing date. All books entered will be donated as a gift to the judge/readers.
Judges: Inspirational Readers nationwide and a few international readers.
Scores: Entrant shall understand and agree that scores returned by the judges are final. The judges score according to a score sheet given to them along with the books they are judging. The average of the scores are used to determine the outcome of the award in each category. Scores will not be returned to the entrant.
Prizes: Finalists in all categories will receive certificates. The winner in each category will receive an engraved box. Winners will be announced at the 2017 FHL AGM.
Deadline: Entries must be received no later than March 1, 2017. Books must be received by March 15, 2017. You will be notified by e-mail where to send your books, depending on which category you enter. We recommend mailing books first class or priority mail. Media mail is very unreliable.
Submission: Each entry must include the following:
- Electronic Entry form with Fee Payment on PayPal
- E-mail address
- Entry fee
*** Please DO NOT INCLUDE BOOKS WITH THE ENTRY FORM. ***
(Upon receipt of entry form and payment, you will be notified where to send your books.)
If you have any questions, please contact the FHLRCA Coordinator, Nancy Farrier at [email protected].
Note: Dues and other amounts paid to FHL (Faith, Hope & Love) Chapter are not deductible as charitable contributions, but may qualify as business expense.